UNSC 1267 Sanctions Committee has put on hold India’s proposal to declare JeM chief Maulana Masood Azhar as global terrorist. The decision came after China, a veto-member in UNSC 1267 Sanctions Committee, extended its decision to put a “technical hold” on the declaration.
India criticized the complete non-transparent and anonymous manner of designating individuals by the UNSC 1267 Sanctions Committee. It also mentioned that, UN Sanctions Committee has already proscribed Pakistan-based JeM a terrorist organisation. However committee ignored the need to take action against the organization’s main leader, motivator and financier who continues his terrorist actions unhindered.
- In March 2016, India petitioned the 1267 Committee of UN to designate Masood Azhar as an international terrorist citing to act against its main leader, financier and motivator of terrorist organization.
- India had pressed case against Masood in UN following the January 2016 Pathankot attack which it blamed on the outfit JeM.
- However in March 31, China a veto-wielding permanent member of UNSC had blocked India’s move to put a ban on Azhar Masood under the al-Qaeda Sanctions Committee.
- The Chinese technical hold had lapsed on October 3, and if China not raised further objection, the resolution designating Azhar as a terrorist would have been passed automatically. But, China on Saturday announced the extension of its “technical hold”.
United Nations Security Council UNSC 1267 Committee
- The UNSC 1267 Committee was established as result of Resolution 1267 (1999).
- It is also known as the AlQaida and Taliban Sanctions Committee.
- It was established for the purpose of overseeing the implementation of sanctions measures imposed on Taliban-controlled Afghanistan for its support of Osama bin Laden.
- However in course of time, the 1267 sanctions regime has been modified and strengthened by subsequent resolutions.
- If an individual or terrorist organization is included in this list, it helps in restricting their movement, financial penalties and assets freeze among others.
- The Committee comprises all 15 members of the UNSC and makes its decision by consensus and secretly.
- If single member opposes a resolution, there is no consensus. China used this to oppose India’s bid is not allowing UNSC to designate Masood Azhar as an international terrorist.