Recently, India Meteorological Department (IMD) has on-boarded 7 services available of its website to UMANG app. The IMD services on UMANG App were inaugurated by Dr. M .Rajeevan, Secretary, Ministry of Earth Sciences in the presence of Dr. M Mohapatra DG , IMD and Shri Abhishek Singh , President and CEO of NeGD on 22nd May, 2020.
What is UMANG App ?
UMANG App was launched by Prime Minister Modi in 2017 with an aim to bring major government services on a single mobile app and with a larger goal to make the government accessible on the mobile phone of our citizens.
The UMANG mobile app (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) is a Government of India all-in-one single, unified, secure, multi-channel, multi-platform, multi-lingual, multi-service mobile app, powered by a robust back-end platform providing access to high impact services of various organizations (Central and State).
About 660 services from 127 department & 25 states, including 180 utility payments are live on the UMANG App. Citizens can also access their Digilocker from UMANG App and give their feedback after availing any service through Rapid Assessment System (RAS) which has been integrated with UMANG. UMANG App user base has crossed 2.1 Crore including Android, iOS, Web and KaiOS.
UMANG App is envisaged to make e-governance ‘mobile first’. The app has been developed by Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and National e-Governance Division (NeGD).
- Unified Platform: It brings together all government departments and their services on a single platform to provide better and easier services to citizens.
- Mobile First Strategy: It aligns all government services with the mobile first strategy to leverage mobile adoption trends.
- Integration with Digital India Services: It provides seamless integration with other Digital India Services like Aadhaar, DigiLocker, and PayGov. Any new such service will automatically be integrated with the platform.
- Uniform Experience: It is designed to enable citizens to discover, download, access, and use all government services easily.
- Secure and Scalable: It supports Aadhaar-based and other authentication mechanisms for service access. The sensitive profile data is saved in an encrypted format and no one can view this information.
UMANG provides easy access to a plethora of Indian government services ranging from – Healthcare, Finance, Education, Housing, Energy, Agriculture, Transport to even Utility and Employment and Skills.
Key Benefits for Citizens:
- Single-Point Ubiquitous Access: All government services are available for citizens on a unified platform for easy access through multiple online and offline channels (SMS, email, app, and web).
- More for Less: Only a single mobile app needs to be installed instead of each app of each department.
- Convenience: Citizens do not even need to install or update the app again to avail government services if more services are added to the platform.
- Saving of Time and Money: Citizens can anytime and anywhere avail these services through their mobile phones, desktops, and laptops without any need for visiting the department office and standing in queues.
- Uniform Experience: All the government services including payment-based transactions provide secure and uniform experience.
Service from IMD on-boarded to UMANG Application:
The following 7 services hosted on http://mausam.imd.gov.in web site of IMD have been on-boarded on UMANG Mobile application:
- Current Weather –Current temperature, humidity, wind speed, direction for 150 cities updated 8 times a day. Information on sunrise/ sunset and moonrise/ moonset is also given.
- Nowcast– Three hourly warnings of localized weather phenomena and their intensity issued for about 800 stations, and districts of India by State Meteorological Centers of IMD. In case of severe weather, its impact also is included in the warning.
- City Forecast – Past 24 hours and 7 day forecast of weather conditions around 450 cities in India are given.
- Rainfall Information– All India district Rainfall information daily, weekly, monthly and cumulative series are available.
- Tourism Forecast- Past 24 hours and 7 day forecast of weather conditions of around 100 Tourist cities in India are provided.
- Warnings- The alert issued to warn citizens of approaching dangerous weather. It is colour coded in Red, Orange and Yellow are the alert levels with Red as the most severe category. Issued twice a day for all districts for the coming five days.
- Cyclone- Cyclone warnings and alerts provides the track of cyclonic storms along with likely time and point of crossing of coast. Impact based warnings, area/district wise, are issued so that appropriate preparation including evacuation of vulnerable areas can be done.
The App is available at following links for download: