Rajasthan State Election Commission (SEC)
The Commission discharges its Constitutional duty by way of preparing electoral rolls and holding elections for Panchayati Raj Institutions as well as for Municipal bodies.
The State Election Commission constituted under the Constitution (73rd & 74th – Article 243K ) Amendments Act, 1992 for each State / Union Territory are vested with the powers of conduct of elections to the Corporations, Muncipalities, Zilla Parishads, District Panchayats, Panchayat Samitis, Gram Panchayats and other local bodies. It is independent of the Election Commission of India.
- State election commissioner is appointed by the governor of the concerned state as per the law made by the state legislature (Article 243k(2)).
- Tenure and conditions of service shall also be determined by the governor (Article 243k(2)).
- State Election commissioner shall not be removed by from his/her office except in the same manner and on the same ground as judge of a high court.(Article 243k(2)).
Elections in PRI’s
Elections to Panchayati Raj Institutions (P.R.Is) are being held in Rajasthan since 1960. The first election was conducted in 1960 by the Panchayat Department. Thereafter, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th elections in the years 1965, 1978, 1981 and 1988 were conducted by the Election Department.
The 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th general elections to the PRIs were conducted by the SEC in 1995, 2000, 2005, 2010 and 2015. The 11th general election of 21 Districts have been conducted by the SEC in September – October, 2020.
Elections to Municipal bodies
Elections to Municipal bodies are being held in Rajasthan since 1960 by local self department. The 1st election was conducted by Election Department in 1963. Thereafter in some group of Municipal bodies elections were conducted by the Election Department in 1970, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1982, 1986, .
General Elections to 45 Municipal bodies were conducted by the SEC in 1994 and to 137 Municipal bodies in 1995. Thereafter the general election to these bodies were again held in 1999-2000, 2004-2005, 2009-2010 and 2014-2015. The last general election for 91 Municipal bodies have been conducted by the SEC in January – February, 2021.
- To announce elections schedule for elections to Panchayati Raj Institutions(PRIs) and urban local bodies(ULBs)
- Superintendence, direction and control of the preparation of electoral roll for election to PRIs(Article 243k(1)) and ULBs(Article 243ZA).
- To declare reserved seats for sc,st,obc,women.
- To conduct free and fair election to PRIs and ULBs.
Power and Privileges:
- State election commission has same status as Election commission of India.
- Conditions of service of state Election commissioner shall not be varied to his/her disadvantage after his/her appointment.
- State election commissioner has the status , salary, and allowance equal to judge of High court.
- Enforces model code of conduct in elections to PRIs and ULBs so that level playing field can be ensured and decorum of electoral process is maintained.
- Guardian of free and fair elections to PRIs and ULBs.