Livestock of Rajasthan
Service Sector majorly drives economy of Rajasthan but Agriculture and allied activities continues to be chief source of livelihood in rural region. 55% of total area of Rajasthan is desert and so livestock of Rajasthan is one of the main source of livelihood. Other than providing source of livelihood, livestock also provides food security and insurance against poverty. Development of livestock sector has a significant beneficial impact in generating employment and reducing poverty in rural areas.
Livestock is the main source of animal protein for the population. It is estimated that more than 80% rural families keep livestock in their households. Contribution of animal husbandry sector to the GDP of the State has been estimated to be around 10.21 %. About 35% of the income of small and marginal farmers comes from dairy and animal husbandry. In arid areas the contribution may be as high as 50%
This Page includes description and details, regarding various animals found in Rajasthan. Our aim is to cover, in this single post, basic information and relevant details with regard to both ecologically and economically relevant livestock of Rajasthan.
Importance of Livestock in Economy of Rajasthan:
- The State has about 11.27 per cent of the livestock of the country.
- The State accounts for about 6.98 per cent of cattle,
- 11.94 per cent of buffaloes,
- 16.03 per cent of goats,
- 13.95 per cent of sheep and
- 81.50 per cent of camels of the country.
- The State contributed 12 per cent of milk and 32 per cent of wool to the nation’s production in the year 2016-17.
- Livestock provide 35% of draft power in the state.
- More than 80% rural families keep livestock in their households. Contribution of animal husbandry sector to the GDP of the State has been estimated to be approximately 8 %. (Source: Animal Husbandry, Dept.)
- Rajasthan ranks 2nd in Milk production in India.
- Rajasthan ranks 2nd in per capita milk availability.
- Rajasthan ranks 1st in wool production in India.
- Rajasthan produces 10% of meat in India.
- Rajasthan Ranks 14th in egg production in India
- Constraints in development of Livestock in Rajasthan.
- Livestock is an unorganized sector and holdings are very small, further much of the livestock belongs to economically weaker section which restricts it to being just source of livelihood.
- Markets for livestock are also unorganized and suffers from inadequate investment by Public (State) & Private sector.
- Inadequate availability of quality breeds
- Lack of health &nutrition support, along with frequent occurrence of natural calamities that result in high occurrence of diseases and mortality.
- Rajasthan is majorly an arid region and there is inadequate availability of fodder & feed resources
- Inadequate infrastructure in terms of cooperatives, veterinary and knowledge support.
Different types & breeds of Livestock available in Rajasthan:
Relevant Policy & Acts:
Livestock Census of Rajasthan
- 20th Livestock Census 2019 of Rajasthan
- 20th Livestock Census 2019 of India
- 19th Livestock Census 2012
- It was 19th Livestock Census of Rajasthan
- There are a total 577.32 lacs Livestock (includes Cattle, buffalo, Sheep, Goat, Horse & Ponies, Mules, Donkeys, Camel, Pig)
- Rajasthan has Poultry of 80.24 lacs.
- Barmer has the highest number of livestock in Rajasthan
- Dholpur has minimum number of Livestock
- Rajsamand and Dausa have highest livestock density of 292 per square kilometer