Rajasthan Police: History and Organisation Structure
Rajasthan Police is the law enforcement agency for the state of Rajasthan, organisationally it comes under the state ministry of home affairs. Rajasthan Police has its headquarters in Jaipur. The motto of the police force is सेवार्थ कटिबद्धता, which means “Committed to Serve”.
Currently, use of the latest technology in crime management, controlling hardcore criminals and serious crimes, effective implementation of community police, multi-dimensional eradication of crimes against women, children and weaker sections, curbing road accidents, crime prevention are the various priorities of the Rajasthan Police.
History of Rajasthan Police Department
After Independence, the process of consolidation of princely states into one single Rajasthan State started. With the merger of these princely states, their police forces were amalgamated into a single police force, which was known as Rajasthan Police. In the initial years after its inception, the Rajasthan Police was headed by officers on deputation and the first Inspector General of Police was Shri R.Banerji, who took over on 7th April, 1949.
Shri Banerji started the necessary preliminaries of integration of the various police forces and promulgated a common police code for the United State of Rajasthan in the Rajasthan Police Regulations (RPR) in 1948. RPR 1948 bought structural uniformity, functional harmony and organisational coherence in the Rajasthan Police.
Soon after creation of functional aspects, efforts started for creation of Cadre. Consequently, cadre of Rajasthan Police Service (RPS) was created in January 1951 and eligible officers from all over the State were appointed. Later in September 1951, through the provision of “Indian Police Service Extension to the States”, doors were opened for RPS officers to be inducted to Indian Police Services.
Organisation of Rajasthan Police
Rajasthan is divided into 2 police commissionerate, 7 police range. The ranges are further divided into 40 districts (including 3 rural districts, 2 city districts in Jaipur City and 2 railway police districts). The 40 police districts are then divided into 171 circles, 709 police stations and 788 out-posts.
- Rajasthan State —> 2 Comm. + 7 Ranges —> 40 Police Districts — > 171 Circles —-> Police Stations & Out-posts.
- Jaipur Range: 5 Police Districts: Jaipur Rural, Sikar, Jhunjhunu, Dausa & Alwar
- Ajmer Range: 4 Police Districts: Ajmer, Nagaur, Bhilwara, Tonk
- Jodhpur Range: 6 Police Districts: Jodhpur Rural, Pali, Jaisalmer, Barmer, Jalore, Sirohi
- Kota Range: 5 Police Districts: Kota City, Kota Rural, Jhalawar, Baran, Bundi.
- Udaipur Range: 6 Police Districts: Udaipur, Banswara, Dungarpur, Chittorgarh, Rajsamand, Pratapgarh
- Bikaner Range: 4 Police Districts: Bikaner, Churu, Sri Ganganagar, Hanumangarh
- Bharatpur Range: 4 Police Districts: Bharatpur, Sawai Madhopur, Karauli, Dholpur
In addition to above:
- 1 Government Railway Police (GRP) Range: 2 Railway Police Districts: Ajmer & Jodhpur
- 2 City Jaipur City
Hierarchy of Rajasthan Police:
- State Level: Director General of Police (DGP) – 3 Star Rank – Ajit Singh (2017)
- Commissionerate & Ranges: Inspector General of Police (IGP) – 2 Star Rank – IPS
- Police District: District Superintendent of Police (SP) & DSP
- Police Circle: Circle Inspector (CI)
- Police Station: Station House Officer (SHO) Rank Inspector, Sub-Inspector (SI) & Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI)
- Out-Posts: Head Constable & Constables
Division of Rajasthan Police Department
While, Rajasthan Police has only 7 Ranges & 2 Commissionerates, number of IPS & RPS officers close to 215 & 872 respectively. How is this possible. It is, because the Rajasthan Police Department has various wings in addition to law-enforcement that is police works. Hence, lets have a look at various Wings of Rajasthan Police Department:
There are 12 organisational wings consisting of
- Administration, Law & Order
- Government Railway Policing (GRP)
- Crime Branch
- Planning, Modernisation and Welfare
- Rajasthan Armed Constabulary
- Establishment Branch (Personnel)
- Forensic Science laboratory
- Wireless & Tele-communications
- Traffic Police
- State Special Branch
- Vigilance Branch
- Police Training
* Check required as different sources, different results
Besides, 215 IPS officers & 872 RPS officers, Police force of Rajasthan consists of:
- Police Subordinated Staff
- Inspector: 1256
- Sub Inspector: 4415
- Assistant Sub Inspector: 5959
- Head Constable: 13446
- Constable: 78162
- Other Gazetted Officers
- Ministerial Staff
- Other Staff