Rajasthan High Court bans Single Use Plastic in its Premises
Rajasthan High Court bans Single Use Plastic in its Premises: On 28th September, Rajasthan High Court has decided not to use banned single-use plastic and thermocol products on the premises of all courts and in its canteens across the state.
A circular published on the High Court website, takes note of the ill-effects of plastics on human life & environment and acknowledges the infectivity (on ground) of ban imposed on use of plastic carry bags across the State in the year 2010 by the Government of Rajasthan. Further, it endorsed the ban on single-use plastic by the Centre across the Nation from 2nd October, 2019 and recognized that without public awareness and commitment, this step may also result in futility.
As per the circular, the the Full Court has unanimously resolved not to use the banned single use plastic/thermocol products as a mark of respect to the father of nation Mahatma Gandhi on his 150h Birth Anniversary and in the interest of the institution and public at large.
Therefore, as a mark of respect to the father of nation Mahatma Gandhi on his 150h Birth Anniversary and in the interest of the institution and public at large, Hon’ble the Full Court has unanimously resolved not to use the banned single use plastic/thermocol – bottles, carry bags, cups, glasses, dishes, spoons, forks, bowl containers, plates, bottles, straws, sachets and other plastic products (list of banned plastic articles enclosed) in any manner in the premises of Rajasthan High Court and High Court Guest House both at Jodhpur and Jaipur, as also in the premises of all the Subordinate Courts, Canteens/Restaurants in the premises of all the Courts of the State and also during official functions, conferences and any other occasions.
Rajasthan HC Circular
This implies that the ban will extend to all courts in the state, High Court Guest House at Jaipur and Jodhpur, canteens and restaurants operating inside the premises of Courts as well as official functions, conferences and any other occasion.
The circular has also listed banned single use plastic & other products.
- Less than 200 ml. drinking water PET/PETE bottles having liquid holding capacity.
- Plastic Mineral Water Pouch
- Plastic Bags (With Handle / Without Handle)
- One time use / single use disposable items made up of Thermocol (Polystyrene) or Plastic e.g. dish, spoon, cups, plates, glasses, fork, bowl, container.
- Disposable dish / bowl used for packaging foods in hotels and Straw
- Any Compostable Plastic Bags except for Plant nursery horticulture, agriculture & handling of solid waste.
- Use of Plastic & Thermocol for decoration purpose
- Any other article banned from time to time by the competent authorities.
Before this, the Full Court of Calcutta High Court had also banned single-use plastic in its premises w.e.f. 01.10.2019 by way of a resolution passed on September 23, 2019. The ban will extend to the Circuit Benches of Calcutta High Court at Jalpaiguri and at Port Blair.