Rajasthan Current Affairs: May 2017- Week 3- Week 4
Nearly 5,000 gram panchayats are open-defecation free in Rajasthan
- Since the inception of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (rural) three and half years ago, some 4,973 gram panchayats have become open-defecation free and 58.26 lakh toilets have been constructed in Rajasthan.
Rajasthan police gets UAVs for surveillance
- Rajasthan Police has procured procured UAV’s (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) for its nine police zones at Ajmer, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Bikaner, Udaipur, Bharatpur, Jaipur and Jodhpur commissionerate.
- The UAVs have also been provided to special units like State Disaster Relief Force (SDRF) and Rajasthan Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS).
- These advanced UAVs can fly about 400 metres high and cover significant areas. They also have the power to record video and capture photographs.
Police starts using facial recognition software to track offenders from crowd
- Jaipur Police has started the test run of its facial recognition system (FRS) software. The system would enable police control room to keep a check on offenders and suspects in large crowds.
- How FRS System functions:
- The FRS system has cameras to detect faces and sends it to remote servers which has a database of serial offenders and other wanted suspects.
- The software then tests it with the database and shows how much a particular person’s face has been matched with the suspect. If facial outlines of suspect and the person match upto 65 percent, it sends alert the police control room.
- The FRS is installed at the Jaipur police’s newly operational command and control centre called Abahay.
Operation Thar Shakti concludes:
- Indian Army’s exercise ‘Thar Shakti’ culminated in Mahajan Firing Field of Thar desert area in Bikaner.
- he Indian Air Force also participated in this exercise to promote synergy of operations.
Rajasthan Governor signs Rajasthan Ministers’ Salaries Bill-2017
- Governor Kalyan Singh signed the Rajasthan Ministers’ Salaries (second amendment) Bill-2017. Important provisions of the bill include that the former chief ministers, who have completed their five-year tenure, are entitled to house and staff for life.
Force Nirbhaya launched in Alwar
- Alwar police has formed Nirbhaya Force to fight crime against women.
- Six teams of Nirbhaya Force will be deployed around schools and colleges in the morning hours and in the evening they would be deployed at crowded market places thronged by women.
Early man evidence found in Ranthambore Tiger Reserve
- Recently nearly 2,000-year-old paintings have been discovered in Kailadevi forests of Ranthambore Tiger Reserve.
- These paintings validate that the early historic man lived in Vindhyan Range caves of Ranthambore Tiger Reserve area.
- These paintings are of early historic era and located in Shrinathpura, also know as village Sankra in the Kailadevi range. In the local dialect these paintings are popularly known as ‘Gurjari Ke Chappe,’ and are over 2,000 years old.
- All the paintings on the rocks in the region revolve around wildlife. There are standalone pictures of the leopard, tiger and the ones of the antelopes depict them in a herd.
Efforts to revive tribal Mandana Painting art
In a effort to revive the declining, tribal painting art of Mandana, the district administration of Pratapgarh organized a 20-day training programme.
- Mandana is an art of the tribal wall and floor paintings found in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh
- It is derived from the word ‘Mandan’ referring to decoration and beautification and comprises simple geometric forms like triangles, squares and circles to decorate houses.
- In tribal ideology they are famed for warding off evil and acting as a good luck charm.
- It uses white khariya or chalk solution and geru or red ochre.
- The design may show Ganesha, peacocks, women at work, tigers, floral motifs, etc
First divisional edition of GRAM – Kota concludes
- With the aim to double the income of farmers by 2022, the Centre and the state government are focusing on four ‘I’ i.e. Irrigation, Infrastructure, Lower Interest Rates and Insurance.
Rajasthan Comes at 2nd Position in Milk production in Country
- Rajasthan is ranked 2nd in the list of highest milk producing states in India and produces more than 18 Million Tonnes of milk every year.
- Rajasthan has more than 15 dairy cooperatives, that fulfil the demand of milk of the state.
- Among all dairy cooperatives, Bikaner Zila Dugdh Utpadak Sahakari Sangh Ltd has the highest average milk procurement of 90,000 litres per day.
- Nagori, Rathi, Tharparkar and Kankrej are some of the cow breeds found in Rajasthan. Among all cow breeds in Rajasthan, Tharparkar has the highest yield of milk per lactation.
Q: Which state is first in Milk Production?
Leopard Reserves to be launched in Rajasthan
- ‘Project Leopard’, will be launched across eight conservation reserves and sanctuaries across Rajasthan.
- The project will start from Jhalana Reserve Forest in Jaipur.
- On recommendation of standing committee on wildlife by Valmik Thapar.
- The estimated cost of the project is likely to be Rs 5-8 crore and a Leopard Task Force comprising national and local experts would soon be constituted for the policy execution of Project Leopard.
Rajasthan to train youth for green jobs
- Rajasthan government has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Skill Council for Green Jobs to promote trades in solar power, green businesses and water management.
- Besides training youths in these sectors, 16 more trades will be added soon.
- Additionally, upcoming skill universities in the State will also have a Green Sector Centre of Excellence.
Postman mobile app launched in Rajasthan
- Responding to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s call of Digital India, the Department of Post, Rajasthan Circle has launched ‘Postman Mobile Application’.
- Under this, the postmen would be provided with smartphone, using which the real time distribution data would be made available. Required training would also be given to the postmen to ensure smooth running of this project.
- The real time tracking of all the letters, parcels send via Indian Post would be made easy. The actual time and date of delivery would be uploaded on the application. At the time of delivery, signature or thumb impression of the receiver would also be taken via the application.
- The application was developed by the Centre of Excellence in Postal Technology, Mysore.
Rajasthan Government to felicitate industrialists and businesses with Udyog Ratna Awards
- With a view to motivate industrialists and businesses in the state, the Rajasthan Government will honor industries for their excellent performance with Udyog Ratna Awards.
- The award would include One lakh rupees cash, letter of appreciation and a shawl.
- A total of fourteen awards will be given including four awards in each category of micro, small and medium enterprises, one award each would be given to national award winning handicraft artisans and weavers.
- In order to apply for the state award, the enterprises should be running for past three years with relevant certificates or under the MSMSD Act, 2006.
SBC’s five castes again included in OBC
- The state government of Rajasthan has issued a notification on Friday to re-cast the five SBC castes in the list of OBCs in the state of Rajasthan.
- According to the notification, Banjara, Baldia, Labana, Gadia-Lohar, Gadolia, Gujjar, Gurjar, Raikka, Rabari (Debasi) Gadaria (Gadari) and Gayari castes were again included in the Other Backward Classes list of Rajasthan State.
- It is notable that in the past these five castes were included in Special Backward Classes (SBC) under Rajasthan Special Backward Classes Act 2015.
Bhadla Solar Park Will Provide The Most Affordable Electricity
- Bhadla village, located about 200 km from Rajasthan’s Jodhpur city.
- The plant is proposed to generate 2,255 megawatts of power.
- The park has two phases already in operation.
- Recently, auction for 500 MW of fourth place were held in which M/s ACME Solar Holdings Pvt. Ltd. (200 MW) at a tariff of Rs. 2.44 per unit and M/s SBG Cleantech One Ltd. (300 MW), quoting a tariff of Rs. 2.45 per unit.
RTO Jaipur to start accepting only online application for driving licence
- The Regional Transport Office (RTO) in Jaipur started accepting only online applications for driving licences from May 22.
- The new system will reduce the workload and help regional transport office personnel in processing applications quickly and will curb the role of middlemen.
Rajasthan government working to give reservation to economically backward
- Rajasthan State Backward Class Commission has started a survey of the socio-economic backwardness of the unearned families in the state.
- Based on the survey report, the criteria for reservation will be decided.
- Last year, the bill has been passed to give 14 percent reservation to economically backward people in the assembly. This reservation will be given to those sections which have not got reservation in any category and which are financially vulnerable.
ODF certificate for six cities
- Recently six urban areas of the state, Mundwa, Dungarpur, Vijayanagara, Anupgarh, Parbatsar and Ramgarh were declared open-defecation in the open.
Rajasthan tops in digital India mission
- In the Digital India Summit 2017, organized by the Central Government on May 26, Rajasthan was awarded in four categories.
- Awards include:
- Digital Leader of Year’ award.
- e-Governance Initiative of Year for Bhamashah
- For the use of technology in Abhay Command Center and Bhamashah Health Insurance Scheme