In March 2020, the Union Finance Minister Smt. Niramla Sitharaman had announced Rs 1.70 Lakh Crore relief package under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana for the poor to help them fight the battle against Corona Virus pandemic. One of the scheme under the package is Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana aimed at providing food-grains to approximately two-third of the population.
Salient Features of Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana ?
- Covered about 80 crore poor people.
- Initially, for 3 months from April to June end.
- Individuals got extra 5 kg rice or wheat each month for three months in addition to the 5 kg they already got.
- Each household also got 1 kg of dal of their choice.
- Both grains & pulses provided free of cost
Why Scheme in NEWS on June 30th, 2020 ?
On 30th June 2020, Prime Minister Modi addressed the nation and announced an extension of Pradhan Mantri Gareeb Kalyan Anna Yojana – till November 2020. It means, this scheme giving free ration to 80 crore people will continue in July, August, September, October, November.
Along with providing 5kg free rice/wheat to each member of a family, 1 kg free whole chana will also be provided to each family per month.
Over 90 thousand crore rupees will be spent on this extension of PM Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana. The total outlay of the scheme will now be about 1.5 lakh crore rupees.