On 20th June, Prime Minister Modi launched Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan (GKRA) to empower and provide livelihood opportunities to the returnee migrant workers and citizens of rural India. This employment -cum- rural public works campaign was flagged off from village Telihar, Block Beldaur, district Khagaria, Bihar through a virtual conference.
What is Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan ?
Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan (GKRA) is an employment -cum- rural public works campaign aimed to provide immediate relief to migrant workers returned home by providing them livelihood opportunities amid this coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic.
- Provide livelihood opportunity to returning migrants and similarly affected rural citizens
- Saturate villages with public infrastructure and create livelihood opportunities viz. Roads, Housing, Anganwadis, Panchayat Bhavans, various livelihood assets and Community Complexes among others
- The basket of a wide variety of works will ensure that each migrant worker is able to get an opportunity of employment according to his skill, in the coming 125 days.
- The Program will also prepare for expansion and development of livelihoods over a longer term.
Salient Features of Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan ?
- With a resource envelope (budget outlay) of ₹50,000 crore, the program will create infrastructure in the rural regions.
- As many as 116 districts of Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand and Odisha have been selected for the campaign. These districts are estimated to cover about two third of such migrant workers.
- 25 different type of work areas have been identified for employment in villages, for development of various works. (Details below)
- The Abhiyaan will be a convergent effort between 12 different Ministries/Departments (details below).
- The campaign will work on mission mode for 125 days. Hence, in the first instalment, jobs will be provided for four months.
- The Ministry of Rural Development is the nodal Ministry for this campaign.
Districts Under Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan ?
|S. No.||State Name||Districts Covered||Aspirational Districts|
Identified Works & Activities
The list of 25 works & activities targeted to be taken up on priority under GKRA are mentioned in the following table:
|S.No.||Work/ Activity||S.No.||Work/ Activity|
|1||Construction of Community sanitation centre (CSC)||14||Construction of cattle sheds|
|2||Construction of Gram Panchayat Bhawan||15||Construction of poultry sheds|
|3||Works under 14th FC funds||16||Construction of Goat Shed|
|4||Construction of National Highway works||17||Construction of Vermi-compost structures|
|5||Water conservation & Harvesting works||18||Railway|
|6||Construction of Wells||19||RURBAN|
|7||Plantation works||20||PM Kusum|
|9||Construction of Anganwadi Centers||22||CAMPA plantation|
|10||Construction of rural housing works||23||PM Urja Ganga Project|
|11||Rural connectivity works||24||KVK training for Livelihoods|
|12||Solid and liquid waste management works||25||District Mineral Foundation Trust (DMFT) works|
|13||Construction of farm ponds|