The Public Health Engineering Department (PHED) in Rajasthan has initiated action to implement the Centre’s Jal Jeevan Mission by getting water from different sources, including rainwater harvesting, and bring piped water to households.
What is Jal Jeevan Mission
During the Independence Day 2019 speech PM Modi announced that the government will launch Jal Jeevan Mission to bring piped water supply to every house. The mission will converge with other Central and State Government Schemes to achieve its objectives of sustainable water supply management across the country.
- To provide piped water supply (हर घर जल) to all rural households by 2024.
- The mission envisages supply of 55 litres of water per person per day to every rural household by 2024.
- Also aims to create local infrastructure for rainwater harvesting, groundwater recharge and management of household waste water for reuse in agriculture.
- Household pipeline water supply
- Clean and drinkable water
- Recharge of ground water level
- Better local infrastructure
- Less water-borne diseases
- Less water wastage
- The government will spend more than Rs. 3.5 Lakh crore in coming years.
- Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation under the Jal Shakti Ministry.
Jal Jeevan Mission in Rajasthan
A “mission mode” has been adopted in Rajasthan for providing piped water supply connections to about 98 lakh households stipulated in the flagship Central scheme. Only 12% of the households in the State were currently getting piped water supply, a huge task lay ahead to meet the target.
Jal Jeevan Mission would be implemented under the State Water and Sanitation Mission, which was already functional. Water and Sanitation Committee and Water Committee would be set up in each of the districts.
The Union Ministry of Jal Shakti is holding discussions with all the States in five phases for their action plans under the Jal Jeevan Mission. The PHED officers from Rajasthan held deliberations at a workshop in Odisha’s Puri town last month.
Additonally, emphasis is being laid on generating public awareness for conservation of water.
Points to Note:
- Jal JeevanMission is announced by PM on – 15th Aug, 2019
- The targeted year of Jal JeevanMission is – 2024