India Welcomes Putin: Recent India Russia Partnership
The following are important Excerpts regarding recent development in partnership between India & Russia, from PM Modi’s welcome speech of Russian President Putin for BRICS.
- Russian: स्तारीय द्रुग लुछे नोविख़ द्वुख [Means: An Old friend is better than two new friends.]
- Promotion of Make in India through agreements on manufacturing of Kamov 226T helicopters; constructions of frigates; and acquisition and building of other defence platforms.
- Agreement to work on an annual military industrial conference that will allow stakeholders on both sides to institute and push collaboration.
- India-Russia cooperation in the field of Civil Nuclear Energy resulted in successful dedication of Kudankulum 2 and laying of foundation concrete of Kundankulum 3 and 4. Further, construction of another eight reactors has also been proposed.
- Hydrocarbon Sector: Indian companies have invested close to US Dollars 5.5 billion in Russia’s Oil and Gas sector. A joint study of a gas pipeline route between our two countries is also being undertaken.
- Russia is backing India’s association with Eurasian Economic Union Free Trade Agreement.
- The Green Corridor and the International North South Transport Corridor will serve to strengthen trade facilitation, logistical links and ensure better connectivity between our countries.
- Funds for Infrastructure: Setting up of Investment Fund of US Dollars 1 billion between National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF), India and Russia Direct Investment Fund (RDIF).
- Cooperation in multilateral platforms like United Nations, BRICS, East Asia Summit, G-20, Shanghai Cooperation Organization.
- Against Terrorism: Both affirm the need for zero tolerance in dealing with terrorists. India appreciates, Russia’s clear stand on the need to combat terrorism and support like “unequivocal condemnation” of the cross border terror attack in Uri.
- India Russia signed 16 important deals including one on S-400 missile systems, a game-changer in countering airborne threats.
- Inter Governmental Agreement on the missile system — worth nearly Rs 39,000 crore.
- Another deal on ‘information security’ aimed at countering terrorism, drug trafficking and other illegal cross-border activities, was also signed.
- Russia has also agreed to sell Kamov 226T helicopters and four Krivak class stealth frigates to India. The Kamov 226T helicopters will be manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) and Rostec State Corporation of Russia under a joint production plan. Shareholding arrangement for the joint venture was also agreed upon.
- An agreement for cooperation in the development of a network of 25 integrated infrastructure Agro irradiation centers. These irradiation centres will help in treatment of perishable food items to improve shelf life and cut post-harvest losses.
- MoU for developing smart cities in Andhra Pradesh and Haryana and for developing transport logistics systems for such cities.
- MoU for Cooperation between Russian and Indian Railways in increasing the speed of trains between Nagpur- Hyderabad/ Secundrabad.
- MoU between Gazprom and Engineers India Limited (EIL) for the joint study of a gas pipeline to India from Russia and other areas of cooperation.
- Cooperation Agreement between Rosneft Oil Company and ONGC Videsh Limited (OVL) in the area of Education and Training.
- MoU for setting up an investment fund of $1 billion by the National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) and the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF).
- MoU between ROSCOSMOS and ISRO on Mutual Allocation of Ground Measurement Gathering Stations for NAvIC and GLONASS.
- MoU between India’s Department of Science and Technology and Russia’s Federal Agency for Scientific Organizations.
What is S-400 ‘Triumf’ Air Defence System?
S-400 ‘Triumf’ long-range air defence missile system is manufactured by Almaz-Antey and is capable of firing three types of missiles. It has capability to destroy incoming all airborne targets at ranges of up to 400 km. The five S-400 systems will be operated by the Indian Air Force (IAF). China, also purchased this S-400 defense system.
What are Ka-226T helicopters ?
Kamov 226T is a light multipurpose helicopter designed for work in difficult conditions like high mountains, hot climate and marine areas. It allows for reconnaissance, monitoring, targeting and transportation. The helicopters will be made by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) with Russian cooperation under Make In India. It will replace the aging Cheetah and Chetak choppers. They shall be a great help in high altitude forward posts like Siachen.
Cooperation on Frigates:
Navy warships are called as frigates. India and Russia will built four stealth frigates which will be improved versions of Krivak or Talwar class stealth frigates. Two of the frigates will be built in Russia and other two will be constructed at an Indian shipyard with Russian cooperation.
Russian consortium led energy giant Rosneft Oil Company has agreed to acquire India’s second biggest private oil firm Essar Oil in an all-cash deal valued at about US $13 billion.