Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the National SC/ST hub and the Zero Defect, Zero Effect (ZED) scheme for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) at Ludhiana in Punjab.
Further, he also presented National Awards to MSMEs and also distributed 500 traditional wooden charkhas (spinning wheels) among women.
National SC/ST Hub:
- The objective of the SC/ST Hub is to provide professional support to entrepreneurs from the SC/ST and to promote enterprise culture and entrepreneurship amongst the SC/ST population and to enable them to participate more effectively in public procurement.
- The MSME ministry has made an initial allotment of `490 crore for the national SC/ST hub for 2016-2020.
- The hub would also operate from National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) headquarters in Delhi, supported by a special cell created for this purpose
Zero Defect, Zero Effect (ZED) scheme:
- ZED Scheme aims to rate and handhold all MSMEs to deliver top quality products using clean technology.
- It will have sector-specific parameters for each industry. MSME sector is crucial for the economic progress of India and this scheme will help to match global quality control standards.