The idea of the all-round development of India cannot be realised till the highest priority is given to the village and rural development. Considering this fact, an organisation known as Community Projects Administration was set up under the Planning Commission, on 31st March 1952, to administer the programmes relating to community development. The community development programme, inaugurated on October 2, 1952, was an important landmark in the history of the rural development.
In October 1974, the Department of Rural Development came into existence as a part of Ministry of Food and Agriculture. On 18th August 1979, the Department of Rural Development was elevated to the status of a new Ministry of Rural Reconstruction. It was renamed as Ministry of Rural Development on 23rd January 1982.
However, the implementation of the maximum schemes implemented by the Rural Development Department was being done through the Panchayati Raj Institutions at the district level. Therefore, for coordinating the district level, the District Rural Development Agencies were merged with the Zilla Parishad under the Chief Executive Officer. Likewise, the merger of Rural Development Department and Panchayati Raj was merged under the name of “Rural Development and Panchayati Raj Department“.
Organisations for Rural Development
Rajasthan Grameen Aajeevika Vikas Parishad –RAJEEVIKA (RGAVP)
RGAVP is an autonomous society established in October, 2010 by the Government of Rajasthan under the administrative control of Department of Rural Development. The society is registered under Society Registration Act, 1958 and is mandated to implement all rural livelihood programmes associated with Self Help Group (SHG) based institutional architecture.
At present, following livelihood projects are being implemented by RAJEEVIKA:-
- World Bank funded, Rajasthan Rural Livelihood Project (RRLP) is being implemented in 60 blocks since June, 2011.
- World Bank funded National Rural Livelihood Project (NRLP) is being implemented in 9 blocks since April, 2013.
- Government of India funded National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM) is being implemented in rest of the blocks in phased manner since April, 2013.
Schemes for Rural Development
- Guru Golvalkar Janbhagidari Vikas Yojana (GGJVY)
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS)
- MPLAD & MLALAD Schemes
- Rural Housing Schemes
- Schemes for development of Rural Roads
- Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission (SPMRM)
- Swachh Bharat Mission (Rural)
- Mukhya Mantri Adarsh Gram Panchayat Yojna (MAGPY)
Rural Development Projects in Rajasthan
Rajasthan Rural Livelihoods Project (RRLP)
National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM)
Mitigating Poverty in Western Rajasthan Project (MPOWER)
This project is being implemented in year 2016-17 in one block each in the districts of Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Barmer, Sirohi, Pali and Jalore and two blocks in Sirohi District(Pindwara) and Jodhpur District (Balesar). Under this , SHGs working in area have been given livelihood seed capital support.