Rajasthan High court clears way for gram sevak appointment
- The Rajasthan High Court on May 12, cleared the deck for the appointment of gram sewaks by dismissing all petitions filed against the selection process.
- The government decided to adjust the Vidhyarthi Mitras in the new posts but a number of petitions were filed in the court raising objections to the process of appointment.
- However, on May 12, the single bench of Justice S P Sharma set aside all objections on the appointment on a petition by Rakesh Chaudhary & others and cleared way for government to go forward with the appointment process.
BSF’s Operation Alert to start from Monday
- Considering the recent cease fire violations by Pakistan in Jammu & Kashmir, BSF would start Operation Alert at Rajasthan Border.
- Operation Alert or Garm Hava would take place along the international border adjoining Pakistan from May 15.
- The exercise would conclude on May 23.
43 GIBs spotted during census on Vaishak Purnima
- Every year at Desert national park (DNP), a wildlife census is held during Vaishakh month on full moon night (Purnima).
- The census is done through waterhole method. This method is considered very accurate, as because of heat, wildlife come to waterholes at least once a day to drink water and, thus, counting is done.
- This year for the first time, 43 GIB were spotted in the DNP area.
Solar tariff plunges to new low at Rs 2.62 per unit in Rajasthan
- Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) had put up 250 MW for auction for Rajasthan government for the plants to be located in Adani Solar Park at Bhadla, near Jodhpur.
- In a reverse auction bidding, Phelan Energy Group and Avaada Power offered to sell solar energy to Rajasthan government at Rs 2.62 per unit and won the contracts for 100 MW each. SBG Cleantech won the rest 50 MW at Rs 2.63.
Centre gives nod for Rs 30,000-crore eastern Rajasthan canal project
- The Central Water Commission (CWC) has given its approval to the ambitious Rs 30,000-crore Eastern Rajasthan Canal Project.
- About Eastern Rajasthan Canal Project:
- The project proposes to bring excess water of Chambal River to 13 water deficient districts of east Rajasthan.
- The 13 districts include Bundi, Kota, Bharatpur, Dholpur, Karauli, Sawai Madhopur, Baran, Jhalawar, Jaipur, Tonk, Dausa, Sikar and Alwar.
- The project will cater drinking and irrigation requirements. It will help to irrigate nearly 10 lakh acres of land.
- The first phase of the project will extend from Galwa Dam to Dholpur, the second from Galwa to Bisalpur-Isarda and the third from Galwa to Alwar.
600 PHCs to be converted into model centres
- Six hundred more primary health centres will be converted into Model primary health centres (PHC) in the state.
- The health department has planned to convert 600 more PHCs into model PHCs in two different phases. It will take up take up 287 PHCs in June and 313 in September for converting them into model PHCs.
- What are Model primary health centres (PHC) ?
- The model PHCs are amalgamation of allopathy, yoga and Ayurveda.
Rajasthan leads in Solar Pumps
- According to a new release by Government of Rajasthan, the state has come up first in installation of Solar Energy based pumpset with 29,000 Solar pumps being installed till now.
Unit making ice-candies with Saccharin unearthed
- Food safety officers unearthed a manufacturing unit of ice-candies for allegedly using saccharin as a sweetener in Jaipur.
What is Saccharin?
- Saccharin is an artificial sweeter, which is quite cheaper than Sugar and about 300-400 times more sweet than sugar.
- Why use of Saccharin is not allowed?
- Saccharin is harmful to children especially those who are under-14 years. It affects bones badly.
- It may also have a carcinogen effect on children.