The Asian Games is the most prestigious event organized by the Olympic Council of Asia. Beginning in 1951, New Delhi, eighteenth (18th) edition took place in Indonesian cities of Jakarta and Palembang in 2018.
Asian Games 2018: Some important facts
- China led the medal tally for the tenth consecutive time.
- Japanese swimmer Rikako Ikee was announced as the most valuable player (MVP) of the Games.
- Mascots: Three different animals have been used as Mascots:
- Bhin Bhin is a bird of paradise (Paradisaea Apoda) that represent strategy.
- Atung is a Bawean deer (Hyelaphus Kuhlii) that represents speed.
- Kaka is a single-horned rhinoceros (Rhinoceros Sondaicus) that represents strength.
India at the 2018 Asian Games
India competed at the 2018 Asian Games and improved upon its previous best medal haul achieved 8 years earlier at the 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou, China. Neeraj Chopra was the flag bearer for the opening ceremony while Rani Rampal was named as the flag bearer for the closing ceremony.
India’s Performance Snapshot:
Some important facts:
- India won most medals in Athletics (19 total, 7 gold), followed by Shooting (9 total, 2 gold) and Wrestling (3 total, 2 gold).
- Out of 69, Indian Women won 27 medals, while 4 medals were won in mixed category.
Gold Medalist at 2018 Asian Games:
|1. Bajrang Punia||Wrestling||Men’s freestyle 65 kg|
|2. Vinesh Phogat||Wrestling||Women’s freestyle 50 kg|
|3. Saurabh Chaudhary||Shooting||Men’s 10 metre air pistol|
|4. Rahi Sarnobat||Shooting||Women’s 25 metre pistol|
5.1. Sawarn Singh
5.2 Dattu Baban Bhokanal
5.3 Om Prakash
5.4. Sukhmeet Singh
|Rowing||Men’s quadruple sculls|
|6.1 Rohan Bopanna
6.2 Divij Sharan
|Lawn tennis||Men’s doubles|
|7. Tajinderpal Singh Toor||Athletics||Men’s shot put|
|8. Neeraj Chopra||Athletics||Men’s javelin throw|
|9. Manjit Singh||Athletics||Men’s 800 metres|
|10. Arpinder Singh||Athletics||Men’s triple jump|
|11. Swapna Barman||Athletics||Women’s heptathlon|
|12. Jinson Johnson||Athletics||Men’s 1500 metres|
13.1 M. R. Poovamma
13.2 Saritaben Gaikwad
13.3 Hima Das
|Athletics||Women’s 4 x 400 m relay|
|14. Amit Panghal||Boxing||Light flyweight (49 kg)|
15.1 Pranab Bardhan
15.2 Shibhnath Sarkar
Sportspersons from Rajasthan at 2018 Asian Games
- Apurvi Chandela – Shooting – Bronze
- Raju Lal – Men’s Kabaddi – Bronze
- Manpreet Kaur – Women’s Kabaddi – Silver
- Shalini Pathak – Women’s Kabaddi – Silver
- Rajat Chauhan – Archery – Silver