NEWS Snippets for month of August (18 Aug to 31 Aug):
- The Union Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD) has signed a MOU with Amar Chitra Katha to publish and distribute comic book on Swachh Bharat Mission.
- Union Cabinet has approved the MOU signed between India’s Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) and CERT-UK. (Read About: CERT-In)
- India and the United States have signed Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA) that will enable both countries to use each other’s bases for repair and replenishment of defence supplies.
- India and Myanmar have signed four MOU to enhance cooperation and bilateral relations between the two countries, which are on:
- Cooperation in field of Renewable Energy.
- Cooperation in the construction of 69 Bridges
- Cooperation in the field of Traditional Systems of Medicine.
- Cooperation in the construction and upgradation of the Kalewa – Yagyi Road Section.
- Union Cabinet has approved MOU between India and South Africa to establish cooperation in Grassroots Innovation.
- Union Cabinet approved signing of new Air Services Agreement (ASA) between India and Fiji.
- India and Germany have signed an agreement on vocational training that aims to foster conditions to create and improve workplace-based vocational training in India’s industrial clusters. The agreement was signed between the Union Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and German International Cooperation (GIZ).
- State-run Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has signed a strategic business Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Microsoft India on telecom and IT solutions for big businesses.
B. State NEWS:
- Gujarat has become the first state in the country to distribute two crore LED bulbs under the Centre’s UJALA (Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All) scheme. (Read About: UJALA)
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the first phase of SAUNI (Saurastra Narmada Avataran Irrigation) Yojana at Sanodara of Jamnagar district of Gujarat.Under this project, 115 dams in the Saurashtra region will be filled with excess water from the Sardar Sarovar dam.
- Maharashtra Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Union Civil Aviation Ministry and Airports Authority of India (AAI) to develop 10 airports as part of the Centre’s Regional Connectivity Scheme. These 10 airports include Shirdi, Gondia, Amravati, Jalgaon, Nashik, Solapur, Nanded, Kolhapur, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg.
- Maharashtra became the first state in the country to draft its own internal security legislation The Maharashtra Protection of Internal Security Act (MPISA), 2016.
C. Other NEWS:
- The Union Defence Ministry has sanctioned the construction of a National War Memorial and National War Museum in New Delhi.
- The Union Cabinet has approved dissolution of Central Inland Water Transport Corporation Limited (CIWTC). Why? Because of heavy losses.
- The second 1,000 MW capacity reactor of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KKNPP) was successfully synchronised to the southern power grid.(Read: KKNPP).
- Automobile manufacturer Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd (M&M) has introduced DiGiSENSE, a cloud based technology solution to track vehicle information in real time.
- The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has announced that Unified Payments Interface (UPI) application has become operational. The application will allow customers to make easier real-time payments via digital means using smartphones.
- India has been ranked 77th among the 171 countries in the 2016 World Risk Index (WRI). The index was released as part of the World Risk Report 2016 released by the United Nations University Institute for Environment (UNUIE) and Human Security (UNU-EHS) and Bundnis Entwicklung Hilft in cooperation with the University of Stuttgart in Germany.
- The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has launched Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses (POCSO) e-box, in New Delhi. POCSO e-box is an online complaint management system for easy and direct reporting of sexual offences against children and timely action against offenders under POCSO Act, 2012.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) asked banks to provide loans up to Rs 3 lakh at 7 per cent interest rate to Women Self-Help Group (SHG).
- President Pranab Mukherjee launched Akashvani Maitree (Moitree) Channel and its multimedia website in Bengali language for listeners in West Bengal, Bangladesh and the adjoining areas.