Important International Summits
Important International Summits
- Countries (5)- Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa
- 9th BRICS Summit 2017 – Xiamen, China
|East Asia Summit (EAS)
- The East Asia Summit (EAS) is a forum held annually in Starting 16 countries in the East Asian, Southeast Asian and South Asian regions.
- Membership expanded to 18 countries including the United States and Russia at the Sixth EAS in 2011.
- EAS meetings are held after annual ASEAN leaders’ meetings.
- The first summit was held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 14 December 2005.
- 12th East Asia Summit 2017 – Pasay, Laos
|APEC Summits (Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation)
- Total Countries– 21
- HQ– Singapore
- 29th APEC Summit 2017 – Vietnam, Hanoi
- 30th APEC Summit 2018 – Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
|SAARC Summit (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation)
- HQ– Nepal
- Secretary General– Arjun Bahadur Thapa
- Indian Representative at SAARC– Lakshmi Savithri
- Countries (8)– Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
- 19th SAARC Summit 2016 – Islamabad, Pakistan
- 20th SAARC Summit 2018- Islamabad Pakistan
|ASEAN Summits (Association of South East Asian Nation)
- HQ- Jakarta, Indonesia
- Total Countries– 10
- Secretary General– Le Luong Minh (Vietnam)
- INDIA IS NOT IN ASEAN COUNTRIES.
- 30th ASEAN Summit 2017 – Pasay, Philippines
- 31th ASEAN Summit 2017 Pasay, Philippines
- 32 & 33 – 2018 – Singapore
|IBSA Summits (2003)
- IBSA Dialogue Forum – India, Brazil, South Africa.
- 7th IBSA Summit 2015 – New Delhi, India
|BIMSTEC Summits (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multisectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation)
- The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is an international organisation involving a group of countries in South Asia and South East Asia.
- These are: Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan and Nepal.
- 4th BIMSTEC Summit 2015 – Nepal
|G-7 Annual Summits (Earlier it was G8, Now Russia suspended Temporarily)
- Group of Seven Countries – France, Germany, Italy, Japan, United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada.
- 42nd G8 Summit 2016 – Shima, Japan
- 43rd G8 Summit 2017 – Italy
- 44th G7 Summit 2018 – Canada
The Group of Twenty Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors is a group of finance ministers and central bank governors from 20 major economies: 19 countries plus the European Union, which is represented by the President of the European Council and by the European Central Bank.
Chairperson- Mauricio Macri, Total Countries- 20 Countries= BRICS + G7 + Argentina, Australia, Indonesia, Mexico, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Turkey
- 11th G 20 Meeting 2016 – Hangzhou, China
- 12th G 20 Meeting 2017 – Germany
- 13th G 20 Meeting 2018 – Buenos Aires (Argentina)
|OPEC International Seminar
- OPEC – Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries
- 7th International OPEC – Veinna , Austria
- NATO – North Atlantic treaty Organization
- HQ- Brussels ,Belgium
- Members -28
- Secretary General – Jens Stoltenberg
- NATO Summit 2018 – Brussels, Belgium
- Organized by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF)
- Earth Hour 2018 was on March 24, from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm
|NAM Summit 2016
- NAM Summit Full Form – Non Allied Moment
- It has 120+2 (Two nations namely Azerbaijan Republic and Fiji) members.
- 17th NAM summit 2016 was held in Caracas, Venezuela .
- This Time Vice president Of India Hamid Ansari represented India In NAM 2016
- NAM 2019 Summit will be held in Azerbaijan
- CHOGM Full Form – CommonWealth Heads of Government Meeting
- Held After Gap of Every Two years
- CHOGM 2018: London (Initially Vanuatu, shifted because of Cyclon Pam
- In 2020 CHOGM Meeting will be held In – Rwanda
Regional Connectivity in South-East Asia:
- IMT Trilateral Highway
- India-Myanmar-Thailand Trilateral Highway
- B/w Moreh (India) to Mae Sot (Thailand)
- Possible extensions to Laos and Vietnam
- Mekong Ganga Economic Corridor
- Chennai (India) – Dawei (Myanmar) – Bangkok (Thailand). (sea/land corridor)
- Involves India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam
- Kaladan Multi-Modal Transit Transport Facility
- Haldia/Kolkata Port=> Sittwe Port (Myanmar) => Kaladan River=> Road transport to Mizoram.
- BCIM corridor
- Connect Kunming (SW China)– Mandalay (Myanmar) –Dhaka|Chittagong (Bangladesh) – Kolkata (India)
|Andaman Nicobar islands.
- Development to Trans-shipment hub.
|ASEAN Master Plan for Connectivity
- To help the “ASEAN community” [Similar to European Union. will be setup in 2015.]
New Maritime Silk Road
The Maritime Silk Road refers to revival of the route from ports in south China, to the Southeast Asia, India, Arabia.
- Connect 12 inland Chinese regions with 14 neighbouring countries. (revive ancient silk road)
- Get new export markets
- Secure lanes to import raw material.
- Counter the influence of USA (TPP) and Russia
- Develop port cities along the silk route
- above the wind region: Indian Ocean
- Below the wind region: Malacca, South China Sea, Java Sea and Far East.
- Via these port cities, link Asia and Africa with Chinese hinterland.
This will be implemented via 2 (Concensus) +7 (Proposals) cooperation framework