Food Processing Industries in Rajasthan
Rajasthan is India’s largest state by area (342,239 square kilometers and 10.4% of India’s total area). The state, with its diverse agro-climatic conditions is richly endowed with the cultivation of a variety of crops. Agriculture & allied activities make up for 24% of the State’s GDP, with 62% of total working population of the State dependent on this for livelihood. Together, Rajasthan has good scope for food processing Industries.
Major strength of Rajasthan for food processing industry:
Geography and Climate:
- Rajasthan has a wide range of climate varying from extremely arid to humid.
- The state has 10 agro-climatic zones, suitable for wide variety of cereals, fruits, vegetables and a large number of livestock.
- State is largest producer of Psyllium, Cluster bean, Fenugreek, cumin, mustard, pearl millet, moth bean and Coriander.
- Rajasthan has 10% of the total livestock in India and is the second largest producer of milk in India.
- 141 main market yards and 315 sub market yards, 4 big pack houses, 5 small pack houses and 7 cold storages are in operation and one walk-in cooling chamber at Jaipur Airport. 8 AGMARK (a certification mark embossed on agricultural products in India) laboratories for grading of the produce.
Marketing Reforms in Rajasthan to ease procurement of raw materials:
- Contract Farming: Allow contract farming for fruits, vegetables, medicine plants, barley, maize and aromatic plants.
- E-Commerce: Permit the setting up of private sub e-markets.
- Direct Purchase: The state has allowed to remove all restrictions on direct purchase of agriculture and horticulture products produced in the State by the agro-processing enterprises
- Market Fee: The market fee on fruits and vegetables has been exempted and trade outside yard is free.
- Private Market Yard: Private sector can establish market yards to enhance supplies to industries.
- State has 6 Inland Container Depots
- 2 Agri Export Zones – 1 for Coriander covering Kota, Bundi, Baran, Jhalawar & Chittorgarh and 1 for Cumin covering Nagaur, Barmer, Jalore, Pali and Jodhpur
- Out of 344 Existing Industrial Areas, (as per RIICO -Rajasthan State Industrial Development and Investment Corp), there are 26 Industrial areas marked suitable for food processing industry.
- There are 6 food parks in Rajasthan. One Mega Food Park in Ajmer and five other in, Alwar, Kota, Jodhpur and Sri Ganganagar.
- The state has released “Rajasthan Agro-Processing and Agri-Marketing Promotion Policy – 2015”.
- Food Processing sector has been accorded the status of a Thrust Sector under the Rajasthan Investment Promotion Scheme, 2014 (RIPS 2014).
- 5% Interest Subsidy for 5 years for various categories food processing enterprises
Food Processing Industry in Rajasthan
- About 10,000 units are operational in the micro and small scale sector and approximately 75 units in the medium and large scale sector. Rajasthan has several districts known for processing. However, Most of the raw material produced in Rajasthan are processed outside the state.
Important Food Processing Companies in Rajasthan
- Lotus Dairy – Bikaner, Sikar, Jaipur, Shri Ganganagar
- Paayas Dairy – Jaipur
- Adani Wilmart Pvt. Ltd. – Bundi
- Advantage Overseas Pvt. Ltd. – Bundi
- Mahesh Edible Agro oil India Pvt. Ltd. – Kota, Alwar
- Goyal Protein Ltd. – Kota
- Otekar India Pvt. Ltd – Alwar
- Barmalt Malting Ltd. – Alwar
Food Processing Clusters in Rajasthan
|Spices and Condiments Processing||Kota, Jodhpur, Bikaner, Jaipur|
|Milk Processing||Alwar, Jaipur, Ajmer, Bikaner|
|Pulses Processing||Jodhpur, Bikaner, Jaipur|
|Snacks Processing||Bikaner, Jaipur|
|Mustard & Soybean Processing||Kota , Bundi|
|Barley Processing||Jaipur, Sikar, Dausa, Tonk, Bundi|
|Maize Processing||Bhilwara, Chittorgarh, Banswara|
|Prepared Foods||Alwar, Jaipur , Ajmer|
|Wheat Processing||Jaipur, Alwar, Shri Ganganagar, Hanumangarh, Kota, Bundi, Baran|
|Oil Processing||Alwar, Ganganagar, Bharatpur, Bundi, Kota|
|Fruits & Vegetable Processing||Sikar, Ajmer, Banswara, Chittorgarh|