Defence Current Affairs Summary: December 2016
India has successfully test-fired Agni-V:
- Nuclear capable ballistic missile
- Launched from Integrated Test Range from the Abdul Kalam Wheeler Island off Odisha coast.
- Three-stage solid propellant ICBM
- Range > 5,000 Kms.
The Defence and Research Development Organization (DRDO) successfully flight tested Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon (SAAW) from Indian Air Force (IAF) aircraft at integrated test range in Chandipur, Odisha.
- Indigenously designed and developed 120 kilogram class smart weapon.
- Capable of engaging ground targets with high precision up to a range of 100 kms.
- Union Government had sanctioned the 56.58 crore Rupees for the SAAW project in September 2013. The first test on the weapon system was conducted by DRDO in May 2016 from the IAF Jaguar DARIN-II aircraft in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
India has signed deal with the United States (US) to buy 145 M-777 Ultra-Light Howitzers worth $750 million under the Foreign Military Sales programme.
- M777 howitzers are manufactured by BAE Systems.
- BAE Systems already has selected the Mahindra group as the local offset partner.
- M777 are smaller and lighter and weigh 4,100 kg and can be easily transported by helicopters.
- M777 has effective firing range of 24 km.