Current Affairs: August 12
Rajras Current Affairs August 12
NEWS: CCEA gives nod to development of AUSC technology for thermal power plants
- CCCEA- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs gave approval for development of Advanced Ultra Super Critical (AUSC) technology for thermal power plants.
- AUSC technology is still in research phase and has potential for 20% reduction in coal consumption and 20% reduction in Carbon di-oxide production.
- CCEA has approved fund of 900 Crore Rupees, which shall be utilized over a period of 3-years for development of this indigenous technology
NEWS: Unit I of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project successfully dedicated to nation
- Prime Minister Modi and Russian President Putin (through Video-conference) & TN Chief Minsiter Jayalalita, dedicated the first unit of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KKNPP) in Tamil Nadu to the nation.
- Kundankulam NPP Facts:
- Reactor: Imported Pressurized Water Reatcor (PWR ) – VVER from Russia
- Overall Project 4000 MW: 4 VVVER’s of 1000 MW capacity each
- Kudankulam is the highest capacity generating nuclear power plant in India.
NEWS: Committee to review e-commerce regulations
- Union Government has decided to set up a committee, headed by Amitabh Kant, to look at easing the policy regime for e-commerce players.
- Terms of Reference:
- Examine various issues in e-commerce sector and making recommendations for liberalization of the policy.
- Look into all issues, including FDI norms, related to the fast growing e-commerce industry in the country.
- Trivia: Amitabh Kant is CEO of NITI Aayog
NEWS: Mahadayi tribunal term extended
- Union Government extended term of Mahadayi tribunal by one-year
- The Inter-State River Water Disputes Act gives power to the Union government, which appointed the tribunal, to extend its tenure.
- Dispute River: Mandovi or Mhadei river, source bhimgad, Karnataka and flows westwards with total length of 77 km, 29 km in Karnataka and 52 km in Goa.
- Has famous: Dudhsagar Falls and Varapoha Falls,
- Hence, dispute between: Karnataka & Goa
Person in NEWS: K M Hanumantharayappa
- K M Hanumantharayappa has assumed charge as the new Chairman of Central Silk Board (CSB), for a period of three years
- Central Silk Board (CSB)
- CSB is a statutory body established under the Central Silk Board Act, 1948.
- Functions under Union Ministry of Textile.
- CSB is a national organization responsible for overall development of silk sector in India.
NEWS: Digital projects will get Rs.10,000 crore from USOF
- USOF: Universal Service Obligation Fund
- Aim: To provide Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) services at affordable prices to people in rural and remote areas.
- Fund Source: Through a Universal Access Levy– charged from operators as a percentage of various licenses fees being paid by them.
- NITI Aayog signed a pact with US Energy Information Administration (EIA) for development of a portal that can host all the data related to energy sector in the country.
- China successfully launched Gaofen-3 satellite with a new high-resolution Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR)
- Gaofen-3 – Low-earth orbiting satellite
- Launched from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi Province
- Press Information Bureau (PIB) starts dedicated page with Pictures & Videos on Indian Freedom Struggle.
- Page Name: Festival of Independence (Visit here)
[themencode-fb-page-widget page=”https://www.facebook.com/Rajras-1835370626603310″ width=”250″ height=”50″ hide_cover=”true” show_faces=”false” show_posts=”false”]
You can visit Rajras (Raj ras) – for knowledge/information related to RAS/IAS syllabus, study material & current affairs.