Bharat Ke Veer & Gallantry Awards Portal – New Initiatives
Recently the ministry of home affairs has launched two portals. One is Bharat ke Veer Portal & other is gallantry awards portal. This post would discuss the two portals in some detail:
Bharat Ke Veer Portal
Ministry of Home Affairs has recently(April 2017) launched the BharatkeVeer web portal and mobile application. The portal is an IT based platform, with an objective to enable willing donors to directly contribute towards the family of a braveheart who sacrificed his/her life in line of duty. The amount so donated will be credited to the account of ‘Next of Kin’ of those Central Armed Police Force/Central Para Military Force soldiers.
To ensure maximum coverage, a cap of 15 lakh rupees is imposed and the donors would be alerted if the amount exceeds, so that they can choose to divert part of the donation to another braveheart account or to the “Bharat Ke Veer” corpus.
After contribution, one can also download the certificate of their contribution by entering their e-mail ID and phone number at this link
You can access the portal at: Bharat ke Veer
The Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF’s) are armed forces under the Ministry of Home Affairs and comprise of the following forces :
- Assam Rifles (AR) engaged in border guarding along Indo-Myanmar border, as well as in counter insurgency operations in the North East.
- Border Security Force (BSF) guards India’s borders with Pakistan and Bangladesh, and are also deployed for anti insurgency operations.
- Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) provides security to the key sectors including Airports, Metro systems, important industries in the public and private Sector, heritage monuments, Government buildings and security to protected persons.
- Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) is the primary force for internal security including anti naxal operations, counter insurgency duties in J&K and North East, and Law & Order problems.
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) guards India’s borders with China.
- National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is for specialized response to natural and man-made disasters, saving lives and livelihood and prepares communities in disaster resilience and disaster risk reduction.
- National Security Guard (NSG) is a Special Force mandated to conduct counter-terrorist, counter-hijack, and hostage-rescue operations as well as provide `mobile security’ to designated protectees.
- Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) is primarily mandated to guard India’s borders with Nepal and Bhutan.
Gallantry Awards Portal
After Independence, initially three gallantry awards the Param Vir Chakra, the Maha Vir Chakra and the Vir Chakra were instituted by the Government of India on 26th January, 1950 which were deemed to have effect from the 15th August, 1947.
Thereafter, other three gallantry awards i.e. the Ashoka Chakra Class-I, the Ashoka Chakra Class-II and the Ashoka Chakra Class-III were instituted by the GOI on 4th January, 1952, which were deemed to have effect from the 15th August, 1947. These awards were laterd renamed as the Ashoka Chakra, the Kirti Chakra and the Shaurya Chakra respectively in January, 1967.
These gallantry awards are announced twice in a year – first on the occasion of the Republic Day and then on the occasion of the Independence Day.
Order of precedence of these awards is:
- The Param Vir Chakra,
- The Ashoka Chakra,
- The Mahavir Chakra,
- The Kirti Chakra,
- The Vir Chakra
- The Shaurya Chakra.
You can read more about there deisgn, type, look – here.
Now, Government of India(15-August-2017) has launched a new portal: Gallantry Awards Portal. This portal would consolidate a detailed database of all the awardees from 1950 till 2017. The portal can be accessed in both English and Hindi. It also gives a detailed description about the selection criteria for the awardees. It lists the eligibility criteria and also has a PDF about the rules and regulations for the awards.
The database would showcase the names and photographs of the awardees, along with details of the unit in which they served or commanded. It also includes the year in which they were given the award and a citation.
Have a look at two portals & contribute as you may