Though a large percentage of the total area of Rajasthan is desert and there is little forest cover, Rajasthan has a rich and variety of animal and plant species. This post is collection of information on wildlife of Rajasthan. We shall update important current affairs in the same post.
Wildlife of Rajasthan: The Basics
- State Animal of Rajasthan: Camel
- Why: To prevent slaughter, illegal trade and transportation of Camels, as their numbers are dwindling (decreasing) sharply.
- Camel Festival: Bikaner 9-10 January.
- Pushkar Mela: 5-day Camel & Livestock Trading fair.
- Rajasthan State Bird: Great Indian Bustard
- Locally called as Godawan
- Critically endangered (IUCN) and protected in India under Schedule I of wildlife protection act, 1972.
- 2014 Wildlife Institute of India (WII) survey counted 44 great Indian bustards in Rajasthan and according to 2015, Forest department report it is 13.
- Currently found only in Rajasthan, Gujarat & Maharashtra.
- Rajasthan Government has launched Project Great Indian Bustard for Protection of GIB
- Rajasthan Government allocated 12 Crore and Bank of Japan allocated 3 crores.
- Under the GIB Project, closures will be made at many places in Khudi Rasla, Pokhran and Shahgarh of Jaislmer district for safe habitat of bird.
- 2015, Dr. Pramod Patil won green Oscar for efforts in conservation of GIB.
Wildlife of Rajasthan: Current Affairs
- International Biodiversity Day celebrated on 22nd May.
- Tiger Conservation: 2015 MoEF report put the number of tigers in Rajasthan at 52.
- To create awareness about animals and birds, each of the 33 districts of Rajasthan has been represented by an animal mascot. The forest department published news regarding animal mascot in March 2016: Below is the list:
DISTRICT Mascot DISTRICT Macot Ajmer Kharmor bird Jhalore Bear Alwar Sambar deer Jhalawar Gagroni Parrot Banswara Bronze winged Jacana Jhunjhunu Kala teetar Baran Indian Crocodile (Mugger) Jodhpur Demoiselle Cranes Barmer Fox Karauli Ghariyal Bharatpur Sarus Crane Kota Mongoose Bikaner Sandgrouse Nagaur Rajhans Bhilwara Peacock Pali Panther Bundi Golden Pheasant Pratapgarh Flying Squirrel Chittorgarh Gosingha Rajsamand Wolf Churu Blackbuck Sawai Madhopur Tiger Dausa Rabbit Sikar Shahen Dholpur Indian Screamer Sirohi Jungli murgi Dungarpur जांघिल (Don't know English name) Sri GangaNagar Chinkara Hanumangarh Little KingFisher Tonk Hans Jaipur Cheetal deer Udaipur kabr Bijju Jaisalmer Great Indian Bustard- Godawan
Threatened (Endangered) Species of Wildlife of Rajasthan:
|1||Tiger||Sawai Madhopur, Alwar|
|3||Sloth Bear||Sawai Madhopur, Dholpur, Jalore|
|4||Common Giant Flying Squirrel||Sita Mata WLS, Pratapgarh | Fulwari ki Naal WLS, Udaipur|
|5||Three Striped Palm Squirrel||Fulwari ki Naal WLS, Udaipur|
|6||Smooth Indian Otter||Ghana (Bharatpur), Chambal River|
|7||Chousingha or Four Horned Antelope||Kumbhalgarh WLS|
|8||Mouse Deer||Fulwari ki Naal WLS, Udaipur|
|9||Gangetic Dolphin||Chambal River|
|10||Caracal||Sariska NP,Alwar | Ranthambore NP, Sawai madhopur|
|11||Ratel||Sariska NP,Alwar | Ranthambore NP, Sawai madhopur | Pratapgarh|
|12||Fishing Cat||Ghana (Bharatpur)|
|13||Rusty Spotted Cat||Sariska NP, Alwar | Sajjangarh WLS, Udaipur|
|14||Amur Falcon||Mount Abu|
|15||Brown Cheeked fulvetta||Mount Abu|
|16||Malabar Whistling Thrush||Mount Abu|
|17||Indian Yellow Tit||South Rajasthan|
|18||White Naped Tit||Mid & South Rajasthan|
|19||Orange Headed Thrush||South Rajasthan|
|20||Indian Blackbird||South Rajasthan|
|21||Indian Purple Rumped Sunbird||Udaipur, Banswara|
|22||Black headed Munia||Ghana(Bharatpur), Udaipur|
|23||Green Avadavat||Kumbhalgarh, Mount Abu|
|24||Grey Jungle Fowl||Kumbhalgarh, Todagrah-Raoli, Phulwari & Mount Abu WLS|
|25||Painted Spurfowl||Vindhyanchal hills & Sariska|
|26||Aravalli Red Spurfowl||South Rajasthan|
|27||Siberian Crane||Ghana (Bharatpur)|
|28||Red Whiskered Bulbul||Mount Abu|
|29||Great Indian Bustard||National Desert Park, Jaisalmer|
|30||White Rumped Vulture||All Rajasthan|
|31||Indian Vulture||South Rajasthan|
|32||Red-headed Vulture||South-East Rajasthan|
|33||Slender Racer Snake||Udaipur|
|34||Dumeril’s Black-headed Snake||Khumbhalgarh |Udaipur|
|35||Green Keelback Snake||South Rajasthan|
|37||Ghariyal||Chambal River WLS|
|38||Common Tree Frog||Bansi, Sita Mata WLS Pratapgarh|
|39||Giant Wood Spider||Sita Mata WLS, Pratapgarh | Fulwari ki Naal WLS, Udaipur|