India adds 12 million people to its workforce every year, however, less than 4 per cent have ever received any formal training. Our workforce readiness is one of the lowest in the world and a large chunk of existing training infrastructure is irrelevant to industry needs. Thus youth in India faces two edged problem, first there is shortfall of jobs, secondly, they lack training & skills required to be able to apply & get selected for the job. Skill Development aims to weed out this mismatch in skills between demand & supply.
Ministry & Departments:
In 2014, Government of India has set up Ministry of Skill Development And Entrepreneurship, to coordinate all skill development efforts across the country. Industrial training, apprenticeship and other skill development responsibilities were transferred from the Ministry of Labour and Employment to this new Ministry on 16 April 2015.
Consequently, in Rajasthan, for better focus on skill development and entrepreneurship, Government of Rajasthan created a new Department of Skill, Employment and Entrepreneurship integrating the verticals of ITIs, Employment Exchanges, RSLDC and Apprenticeship.
Rajasthan Skill & Livelihoods Development Corporation (RSLDC)
Rajasthan was one of the first states in the country to set up a Skill Mission, Rajasthan Mission on Livelihoods (RMoL) in 2004 for skill development in state. In 2009-10, RMoL was was rechristened as Rajasthan Mission on Skill and Livelihoods and RSLDC was incorporated as Section 25 Company, a Not for Profit company, with the Chief Secretary as the Chairman of the Company.
- RSLDC is the State Skill Mission of the Rajasthan and all skill development initiatives in the state are executed through RSLDC.
- The main objective of RSLDC is to organise skill-training program across the State.
Schemes by RSLDC:
Employment Linked Skill Training Programme – ELSTP (Mukhyamantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana):
- ESLTP was launched in the year 2012 with the objective of linking the skill-training program with employment.
- In this program, a training partner has to ensure minimum 50 per cent placement of every batch completed.
- During the current financial year 2015-16 (up to 31.12.2015) 23,276 youth have been trained and10,546 are currently undergoing training.
Regular Skill Training Programme (RSTP):
- It is a flagship program of RMoL for conducting skill trainings through selected ITIs, ITCs, KVKs, DCTCs, RSETIs, NGOs and Registered Proprietorship / Partnership Firm / Private Limited Company / Public Limited Company / Society / Trust / Association.
- These trainings are objected to enhancing productivity and enabling self- employment based livelihoods.
- Main feature of this scheme is livelihood enhancement of women, youth, jail inmates and persons with special ability (PSA) through short duration skill training program. 2,965 youth have been trained during 2015-16 and 1,781 are currently undergoing training.
Skill Development Initiative Scheme (SDIS):
- Rajasthan Skill Development Initiative Society (RSDIS) has been reconstituted in February, 2014 by Government of Rajasthan to implement the SDIS of Directorate General of Employment and Training (DGE&T), Government of India.
- It is done through ITIs and Private Training Partners/ Institutes by setting up Vocational Training Providers (VTPs).
- 2,274 youth have been trained under this scheme up to December, 2015.
- Narayan Multi-speciality Hospital, Jaipur is running skill training program in Medical & Nursing sector with many more to be set up under this scheme.
Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhayaya Grameen KaushalyaYojna(DDU-GKY):
- This scheme aims to alleviate poverty by empowering rural youth through skill and wage employment.
- Rajasthan is one of the approved Annual Action Plan states with a training target of one lakh BPL youth. The scheme was launched in the year 2014.
- At Present, 36 Project Implementing Agencies (PIAs) have setup 120 Skill Development Centers (SDCs) across the state.
- During 2015-16, 18,909 youth have been trained and 5,712 beneficiaries are undergoing training in this scheme.
Rajasthan ILD Skilled University (RISU) is being established at Jamdoli, Jaipur with cooperation of Industrial Financial Cooperation of India. With the enactment of the Rajasthan ILD Skills University Jaipur Act, 2017, (Act No. 6 of 2017) after the passage of the Bill in the State Legislative Assembly of Rajasthan on 7th March, 2017, the Rajasthan ILD Skills University (RISU) has become the first Skills University in the Public Sector in the Country.