Location, Area & Administration:
Sirohi district is situated in the south-west part of Rajasthan between 24°20′ and 25°17′ North Latitude and 72°16′ and 73°10′ East Longitude. It is bounded by district Pali in the north-east, district Udaipur in the east, Jalore in the west and Banaskantha district of Gujarat in the south.
History of Sirohi:
The Name Sirohi had been derived from Siranwa hills on the Western Slope of which it stands. In 1405, Rao Sobha Ji (Sixth in descent from Rao Deoraj, the Progenitor of the Deora Clan of Chauhans ) founded a town Shivpuri on eastern slope of Siranwa hill which is called KHUBA.
Sehastramal, the son of Rao Sobha ji founded the present city SIROHI on western slope and laid foundation stone of the Sirohi fort on second day of Vaisakh in the year 1482 (V.S.) i.e. 1425 (A.D.) on the top the present town of Sirohi and made it his Capital which lies on the Western Slope of the Siranwa hills, later all the area under Deoras came to be known as Sirohi.
After Independence an agreement was signed between Central Government and minor ruler of Sirohi State, with this the State Administration of the Sirohi State was taken over by Bombay Government from 5th January 1949 to 25th January 1950. The first administrator representing a bombay state was Prema Bhai Patel. After final merger with Rajasthan in 1950, an area of 787 Sq. Km. consisting of Aburoad and Delwara tehsils of Sirohi district was renamed with the Bombay State on 01, Nov. 1956, after the recommendation of the State organisation Commission, which forms the present position of the district
Rulers of Sirohi State:
- Durjan Singh – 1697 – 1705
- Umaid Singh I – 1705 – 1749
- Prithvi Singh – 1749 – 1773
- Takhat Singh – 1773 – 1781
- Jagat Singh – 1773 – 1782
- Verisalji II – 1782 – 1808
- Udaibhan Singh – 1808 – 1847
- Sheo Singh -Regent – 1847 – 1862
- Umaid Singh -Regent – 1861 – 1862
- Umaid Singh II – 8 Dec 1862 – 16 Sep 1875
- Keshri Singh – 16 Sep 1875 – 1 Jul 1889
- Keshri Singh – 1 Jul 1889 – 29 Apr 1920
- Sarup Ram Singh – 29 Apr 1920 – 23 Jan 1946
- Tej Ram Singh – 5 May 1946 – 15 Aug 1947
- Maharani Krishna – 5 May 1946 – 15 Aug 1947
Geography of Sirohi:
Sirohi district is broken up by hills and rocky ranges. The granite massif of Mount Abu divides the district into two portions, running from north-east to south-west. The south and south-east part of the district, which lies between Mount Abu and the main spine of the Aravallis, is mountainous and rugged, and is drained by the West Banas River. Abu Road, a station on the main Delhi-Ahmedabad rail line, lies in the valley of the West Banas. Dry deciduous forest is common in this part of the district, and the higher elevations of Mount Abu are covered in conifer forests.
The portion of the district west and north of Mount Abu is drier, lying in the rain shadow of the mountain, which blocks the southwest monsoon. The southwest corner of the district is drained by the Sukri river, an intermittent stream that drains the western slope of Mount Abu. The northwestern portion of the district is drained by tributaries of the Luni River. The Northwestern thorn scrub forests cover the western and northern portion of the district.
Major Rivers: Jawai, Sukhadi, Khari, Bodi, Krishnavati, Kapalganga, and Banas.
Major Dams: Banas, Oda, Danta, Chandela, Girwar, Niboda, Javal, KarodiDwaj, and Angor.
Major Crops: Millets, Pulses, Sesame, and Red Chillies.
Natural Places of Sirohi:
Mount Abu Wildlife Sanctuary
Natural Resources of Sirohi:
The Sirohi district is full of minerals therefore the industries based on minerals were developed rapidly.
According to the 2011 census Sirohi district has a population of 10,37,185. The district has a population density of 202 inhabitants per square kilometer. Sirohi has a sex ratio of 938 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 56.02%.