November 25: International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women (IDEVAW)
- Significance: Seeks to raise awareness about violence against women and girls, end the violence against the women.
- 2016 Theme: “Orange the World – raise funds to end violence against women”. The orange colour in the theme symbolizes a better future to women and girls all over the globe without the pervasive human rights violation which affects 1 in 3 women and girls all over the globe.
November 19: World Toilet Day
- Significance: Raise awareness and inspire action to tackle the global sanitation crisis.
- 2016 Theme: “Toilets and jobs”. It focuses on how sanitation or the lack of it, can impact on livelihoods.
November 16: International Day for Tolerance
- Significance: Seeks to educate masses about the need for tolerance in society and help them understand the negative effects of intolerance.
November 12: World Pneumonia Day
- Significance: Generate awareness about the ‘pneumonia’ disease.
- 2016 Theme: Keep the Promise, Stop Pneumonia Now.
November 10: World Science Day for Peace & Development:
- Significance: To raise awareness of benefits of science in our daily life.
- Theme 2016: “Celebrating Science Centres and Science Museums”. It highlights the importance of science centres and museums for capacity building and to send strong messages about the importance of science for sustainable development.
November 5: World Tsunami Awareness Day
- Importance : In December 2015, the UN General Assembly designated 5 November as World Tsunami Awareness Day, in order to raise tsunami awareness and share innovative approaches to risk reduction.
- Why 5 Nov: The date for the annual celebration was chosen in honour of the Japanese story of “Inamura-no-hi”, meaning the “burning of the rice sheaves”. During a 1854 earthquake, a farmer saw the tide receding, a sign of a looming tsunami. He set fire to his entire harvest to warn villagers, who fled to high ground. Afterwards, he built an embankment and planted trees as a buffer against future waves.
- Theme 2016: The debut World Tsunami Awareness Day focuses on education and evacuation drills.