Rajras Current Affairs August 9
Amended GST Bill finally passed by Parliament
- GST bill will form Constitution (122nd Amendment) Bill, 2014
- AIADMK members walked out, however, all other parties supported it.
- The amendment bill will have to be ratified by Vidhan Sabha of atleast 15 States to become members.
- What is this?
- Well, the Constitution of India can be amended by multiple ways:
- Some articles can be amended by only simple majority ( i.e. greater than half of strength if house)
- Some articles need special majority to modify (greater than 2/3rd of strength of house)
- There is 3rd type of amendment, which cannot be passed by Parliament alone. These require consent of Vidhan Sabha of half of Indian states before becoming law.
- What are these articles: These are articles that effect or are related to federal structure of the Indian polity. Provisions include:
- Election of President & its manner.
- Extent of executive power of Union & States
- Supreme Courts & High Courts
- Distribution of legislative powers between the Union & states.
- Any of the list in 7th Schedule
- Representation of states in Parliament
- Power of Parliament to amend the Constitution & procedure. i.e. Article 368 itself.
River-linking to cost Rs. Approx. 5.6-lakh crore
- National Water Development Agency is the central agency that plans and prepares cost estimates for such projects.
- It has so far identified 16 peninsular Rivers and 14 Himalayan Rivers that could potentially be linked to transfer water.
- Linking of Peninsular rivers will cost approximately 1,85,000 Crores & linking of Himalayan river is going to cost 3,85,000 crores.
- Important Links:
- Ken-Betwa link:
- Would partially submerge the Panna Tiger sanctuary,
- Yet to be cleared by the National Wild Life Board
- Will benefit drone prone areas of Bundekhand
- The Damanganga and Pinjal rivers involving water from Gujarat and Maharashtra
Ponzi Scheme: Juisdisction
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) denied any regulatory purview over ponzi schemes, and placed the responsibility of protecting investors on State governments.
- Ponzi Scheme: is a fraud investment scheme in which the operator offers high return on investment based on new capital received rather than earning profit by using it in some legitimate activity.
- International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN) has awarded Dr. Dhrubajyoti Ghosh
(environmental activis), the Luc Hoffman award.
- Luc Hoffman: Swiss ornithologist, conservationist and philanthropist. He co-founded World Wildlife Fund (WWF) and helped establish the Ramsar Convention for the protection of wetlands.
- 7th India-Japan International Conference on ‘Science and Technology: Future Challenges and Solutions’, started at the University of Mysore.
- Organized by Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) through Indian JSPS Alumni Association.
- Rio 2016 Olympics: Gymnast Dipa Karmakar created history by becoming the first Indian gymnast to qualify for the apparatus finals of artistic Gymnastics.
- Odisha Government had launched Baristha Bunakar Sahayata Yojana, a special assistance scheme for elderly weavers.
- Scheme aims at improving the financial condition of over 8,000 weavers in the state.
- Wildlife Institute of India (WII) will house the India’s first repository on tigers, under its new Tiger Cell.
- The repository will consist of database on tiger conservation and population estimation, prepared with collaborated effort with the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA).
- Union Government launched MAA (Mothers’ Absolute Affection), a nation-wide breast-feeding program.
- A Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has launched a website: Sachet.rbi.org.in -to curb illegal and unauthorized pooling of funds by unscrupulous firms.
- The Gujarat high court has quashed 10 percent reservation quota for the economically backward classes (EBCs).
- United States declared Pakistan based Jamaat-ur-Ahrar (JuA) as a ‘terror group’ by adding it to its list of global terrorists.
You can visit Rajras (Raj ras) – for knowledge/information related to RAS/IAS syllabus, study material & current affairs.