Books for RAS/RTS Examination:
The aim of rajras.in is to provide all the relevant content w.r.t Rajasthan Administrative Services at one place . We are in process of updating Short Notes & Current Affairs, that shall cover complete syllabus. However, we also do not aim to make you dependent only on the site. Hence, below is differentiated syllabus and the book sources from where you can self study.
There are two stages in connection to books. In 1st stage when you don’t know of any book, you are thinking what is the book? and soon you pass this stage and end up with multiple books and then start thinking which book is the best? Hence, the problem of books becomes never ending problem.
Waise, the most followed, most hard-work requiring and most beneficial way is to prepare your own notes. This way you can continue reading any number of sources but you keep on updating your own notes only.
However, the most practical way out there, I believe comes out when you take TIME AVAILABLE as factor. Preparing your notes is best way but will you have to ask yourself, will you be able to complete the syllabus? It is always better to read 3-4 books on same topic but do you have so much time?
In such cases choice of Books becomes very important. Now, in an exam like Rajasthan Administrative Service or UPSC – IAS for that matter, the number of subjects and area of study is vast. Allow me to use engineering ideology, as an aspirant you have 3 variables: Number of subjects, Depth of study required in each subject and Time available. Your job is to maximize the product of these 3. In simple terms, if you study History in depth but fail to cover even basics of geography or current affairs you chances of passing are not great. So it is always better to have average knowledge in all subjects so that you can attempt maximum questions.
Books for RAS/RTS Mains Examination:
Collection of articles on RajRAS for RAS/Mains Examination, as per the RPSC syllabus is available: Here. Given below is the books that can be used as reference for Self-Study for RAS Mains.
RAS Mains Books for General Knowledge and General Studies: Paper I
Unit I: History
Part A: History, Art, Culture, Literature, Tradition and Heritage of Rajasthan
- History of Rajasthan from Pre-historic time to close of 18th Century:
- Salient events of 19th & 20th centuries:
- Peasant & Tribal Movements.
- Political Awakening (Download Hindi.RBSE Chapter)
- Freedom Movement and Integration.
- Heritage of Rajasthan:
- Performing & fine Art:
- Fairs, Festivals:
- Folk Music and Folk Dance:
- Dr. JaySingh Neeraj
- Important works of Rajasthani Literature and Dialects of Rajasthan.
- Saints, Lok Devtas and eminent personalities of Rajasthan
Part B: India History
- Indian heritage from Indus Civilization to British Era
- Fine Art, Performing Art,
- Architecture & Literature
- Religious Movements and religious philosophy in Ancient and Medieval India.
- Medieval History (Satish Chandra) : Download FREE PDF (English Medium)
- History of Modern India from beginning of 19th Century to 1965 AD: Significant events, personalities and issues.
- Indian National Movement- Its various stages & streams, important contributors and contribution from different parts of the country.
- Socio-religious Reform Movements in 19th and 20th Century.
- Post Independence consolidation and reorganisation – Accession of princely states & Linguistic reorganization of the states:
Part C: History of Modern World
- Impact of World Wars.
- Imperialism and colonialism in Asia and Africa.
- Enlightenment and Industrial Revolution.
- Renaissance and Reformation.
- History of The Modern World From AD 1500 to AD 2013: B V Rao (See Amazon)
Unit II: Economics
Part A: Indian Economy
Read NCERT’s Before anything else
- Ramesh Singh (See Amazon)
Part B: World Economy
- NEWSpaper & Selective Reading on Internet
Part C: Economy of Rajasthan
- Laxminarayan Nathuramka
Unit III: Sociology, Management & Business Administration
Part A: Sociology
- Development of Sociological Thought in India
- Social Values.
- Caste Class & Occupation.
- Issues and Problems of Society.
- Read NCERT first (Download: Sociology Class XI )
- Varna, Ashram, Purusharth and Sanskar Vyavastha.
- Tribal community of Rajasthan: Bhil, Mina (Meena) and Garasia
Part B: Management
Part C: Business Administration
RAS Mains Books for General Knowledge and General Studies: Paper II
Unit I: Logical Reasoning, Mental Ability and Basic Numeracy
- R. S. Aggarwal or any other Book or any Coaching standard material, that you are comfortable is OK
Unit II: General Science & Technology
- NCERT’s from Class IX to XII for basic science. Summary: Gist of Science NCERt’s. (See Amazon)
- Newspaper & Internet for Current Affairs.
- Follow Science Monitor on Rajya Sabha TV: Youtube-Channel Link
Unit III: Earth Science (Geography & Geology)
Part A: Geography of World & Part B: Geography of India
- Majid Hussain (See Amazon)
Part C: Geography of Rajasthan
- GEOGRAPHY OF RAJASTHAN by DR. L.R. BHALLA (See Amazon)
- Maps of Rajasthan by Mumal – Rajasthan Manchitrvali (Hindi Medium but equally useful See Amazon)
RAS Mains Books for General Knowledge and General Studies: Paper III
Unit I: Indian Political System, World Politics and Current Affairs
Indian Political System:
- Book: Laxmikant – Fifth Edition (See Amazon English || Hindi )
- New Bills & Acts: PRS Legislature (Link)
- International Affairs from Newspaper & selective reading on topics
- Remember the difference between NEWS and Current Affairs.
- NEWS is knowing that so and so happened, Current Affairs is knowing, how why, effects
- Laskyha (See Amazon) or
- General Knowledge 2017 (See Amazon)
- Year Book 2017 (Amazon)
RajRAS Current Affairs:
- Current Affairs India:
- Current Affairs Rajasthan:
Unit II:Concepts, Issues and Dynamics of Public Administration and Management
- New Horizons of Public Administration by Mohit Bhattacharya
Unit III: Administrative Ethics, Behavior and Law
- Lexicon/Subba Rao For Administrative Ethics , Integrity & Aptitude . ( See Book Amazon )
RAS Mains Books for General Hindi and General English: Paper IV
Unit I: General Hindi
Hindi Vyakaran | हिन्दी व्याकरण (Download RBSE:PDF)
Unit II: General English
- Wren & Martin (Amazon: Book, Key)
- Essential English Grammar (Amazon)
- English Grammar eBook (Download)
- 50 Common Phrases (Download)
Like Yojana Magazine, which is published by Union Government. There is Sujas Magazine published by DIPR Rajasthan Government. Sujas is monthly magazine and contains various schemes, initiatives and news related to development, taken up by Rajasthan Government:
Rajasthan Sujas Magazine for 2017:
Books for Preliminary RAS / RTS 2017 Examination:
Shifted to new Page – Here